Saint Michael the Archangel
The Church of Saint Michael the Archangel, now located in the North side of Piazza San Nilo, was founded between 796 and 817 by the abbot Gisulfo together with the Monastery of Sant’Angelo, using the materials from the preceding Roman buildings of the Pagus Vallis Luci1. Between 948 and 985, the abbot Aligerno had the monastic complex restored to receive Saint Nilus the Younger2, who between 979 and 994 had it extended and adorned3. Between 1011 and 1022, Sant’Angelo became again a Benedictine dwelling and the abbot Atenolfo had it again extended and painted1-4. Once again in 1460, the Church was enriched with a series of frescos of which only survived a Madonna with Child and other little fragments in the current sacristy. After the Sannio earthquake in 1688, the Church obtained a new vault, new buttresses and baroque decorations. In the 1700s, the Chapel of Saint Joseph was added to the Church. In the second half of the 19th century, it was built the canonical house which caused a significant demolition of the three original apses and the building of the current apse. From the beginning of the 20th century, the Church was subjected to a long series of changes, due to the World Wars and other seismic events which caused it to acquire the appearance we see today.