The organization of the Terra Sancti Benedicti
Between 796 and 817, the abbot Gisulfo, like his predecessors, dealt with the reconstruction of the Abbey of Montecassino, destroyed for the first time in 577 by the Lombards of Zetone. He established the new borders of Terra Sancti Benedicti1, which had reached a considerable extension thanks to Duke Gisulf II of Benevento, who in 744 donated to the abbot Petronace a vast territorial portion around the abbey1-2. Gisulfo also took care of the land reorganization of the monastery's estates and took on the urgent spiritual assistance of the surrounding populations1-2. For this reason, he reclaimed a marshy area near the Rapido, enlarged the monastery of the Saviour at the foot of Montecassino and established the manorial organization in the Land of Saint Benedict with the construction of the cellæ2.
Picture: Duke Gisulf II of Benevento, 1666, marble, Cassino (FR), Abbey of Montecassino, Cloister of the Benefactors.